Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Bend it like Beckham

I wasn't surprised that it was a good movie, but I was surprised that I liked it as much as I did. Bend it dealt primarily with the issue of an Indian girl, Jess, wanting to play a European male dominated sport, soccer. Along the way it touched on issues of homosexuality, interracial marriage, racism, etc...

Every time I see a movie/tv show/whatever dealing with racism/sexism/bigotry I immediately get turned off. It's not that I don't think it's an important issue (few things are more important to me), but I just don't know what else I could get from it, and so I feel it'd be a waste of time. In the end, though, the movie was greater than the sum of its parts.

In one scene where her parents are sitting in the house and looking at all the stuff they've bought their daughters, they wonder what they did wrong, what more their daughters could want. I had my answer all prepared and it screamed inside my head. But, Jess understood something I didn't, which was that her parents only knew of their world and their culture, that Jess was entering a realm in which they had no control, and so they could offer her no protection.

And if you're looking for some insight into second generation Indian female life, I can think of no better movie :)

No comments: