Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Time

I suppose the traditional view of time is that it is a dimension, akin to the three that make up what we view as space (hyperdimensional physics aside). I think it's actually electrochemical/mechanical processes that dictate our perceptions of time. Well, I'm not the first person to think of this, but I did come to that conclusion on my own. I think it was someone along the lines of Aristotle that said time is a product of motion.

I think that about sums it up, but there are some interesting corollaries I draw from this. For one, I think that children learn faster because they are operating on a higher intake of data for any given moment. This may explain why a child may feel that time passes so slowly and why an adult may feel it is so fleeting.

Another corollary is that time travel is impossible. Well, it's impossible in the sense that someone could simply travel along some "time continuum" to turn back (or forward) the clock. Hypothetically, if someone knew the precise position of every infinitesimal speck of matter in the entire universe and its exact velocity (Heisenberg be damned) at the time that someone wanted to turn back the clock, AND also had the means to place those specks in those positions with those velocities (entropy be damned), then effectively, that someone will have performed time travel. Further hypothetically, it may simply be enough to know and be able to manipulate matter in that way on a more local scale, like only the entire planet. Although I suppose if you had that much power, maybe you could just screw around with people's heads...

No comments: